Oh sure you’ve met them, people who abstain from all forms of alcohol. They are subtle, a bit judgmental and they are always ready to pull out a justification for why drinking isn’t cool. I’m talking about the person at dinner who is quick to tell you that alcohol is bad for you. They are full of reasons why you shoulnd’t drink. Well…
It’s time to put a stop to this! It’s our turn now. Here’s a list of 10 reasons why drinking is both healthy and good for you!
- Toasting to Friendship. One of the best moments of any party is when you seal a true friendship with a simple clinking of glasses. It’s just not the same if you’re drinking coca cola.
- First Date, First Impression. Ok so no one wants you to become a cliché but you probably aren’t going to make the best of impressions if instead of ordering a vintage wine on your first date, you order apricot juice.
- Designated Driver Blues. The old saying goes – friendship is to be treasured, but friends who don’t drink are to be treasured even more because they become designated drivers. If you’re not enjoying a drink on the weekend, you might as well invest in a chauffeur hat. Just splurge and get a taxi instead!
- The Boy Next Door. You could be the coolest guy in the world, but if you refuse even half a glass of wine, you’re sure to be remembered as “the guy who didn’t drink”. On the plus side, you’ll be a hit with the mothers! Is that really what you want?
- People Will Learn to Trust You Too Much. If you abstain completely from alcohol, you may have a problem using the excuse “Sorry, I don’t remember. I must have been drunk”.
- Questions. Questions. If you openly proclaim abstinence towards alcohol, just wait for the questions to pour in. “Is it by choice?”, “You mean you’ve been to Italy and never tried a glass of Chianti with dinner?”, “When did you decide and why?”, “Have you ever tried to drink any type of alcohol?” Drinking might make these problems go away!
- You Will Never Experience “True Beauty”. It’s a fact – alcohol makes things prettier. Is it worth denying yourself such pleasures?
- Celebrations Won’t Be the Same. Graduation parties, big birthday celebrations, promotions, you name it – all those big bashes where pure uninhibited fun is on the agenda won’t be the same. You may even not get invited sooner or later.
- The Taste of a Fine Wine. Ok, so we get it if you don’t want to drink like a teenager anymore but there is really nothing like a glass of fine Italian Brunello di Montalcino in a piazza in Rome. Or a glass of Chianti Classico while dining with a view of Tuscan vineyards. These experiences are not enhanced by alcohol, but are created by a glass of tradition, passion and aroma all in one.
- Repeat Number 9. Come on. Have you really never had a glass of Brunello di Montalcino wine??!!!